For many, a green smoothie is an integral part of their daily diet. Why? Because green smoothies are so incredibly healthy! This blog lists 18 benefits associated with green smoothies conveniently in a row.
What are green smoothies?
A green smoothie is a vegetable drink prepared using leafy greens as a basis. Simply rinse your choice of leafy greens, pop into a blender, add in one or two pieces of fruit, pour in a splash of (spring) water, blitz for 30 seconds and voilà - your delicious green smoothie is good to go!
The following leafy greens are particularly suitable for smoothies:
- All varieties of lettuce (e.g. cabbage lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, iceberg lettuce, curly lettuce and field lettuce)
- Pak Choy
- Sprouted vegetables (e.g. bean sprouts, alfalfa, etc.)
In theory you can add almost any type of fruit to green smoothies. However, in order to maintain stable blood sugar levels, it’s best to avoid the inclusion of too many sweet fruits. Instead opt for acidic fruits, such as oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons and limes.
You can also replace the (spring) water in your green smoothie for other liquids, such as coconut water, nut milk, rice milk or cold herbal tea. Regardless, never dilute your smoothie using milk or yogurt - you may have a sensitivity to dairy products, which can negatively effect the absorption of the beneficial nutrients that the green smoothie contains.
Finally, there are an endless number of ways to enhance the flavour and / or nutritional value of your next green smoothie. You can stir in fresh or dried herbs, such as parsley, coriander, celery, mint, basil and cinnamon powder. Or mix in your favourite superfoods, including Superfoodies organic cacao powder, Superfoodies organic lucuma powder (irresistibly sweet!), Superfoodies organic vanilla bean powder, Superfoodies organic spirulina powder, Superfoodies organic camu camu powder, Superfoodies organic chia seeds and Superfoodies organic acai berry powder. And, in order to make your green smoothie extra filling, try adding some fresh avocado or Superfoodies organic hemp protein powder.
18 benefits of green smoothies
You’re likely wondering what the benefits of a daily green smoothie really are. The answer is surprisingly simple: green smoothies are extremely healthy for an almost infinite number of reasons.
We’ve conveniently listed the top 18 benefits of green smoothies below:
1. Green smoothies are a great way of quickly and easily obtaining your recommended daily fruit and vegetable intake (and often significantly more!). The NHS recommends consuming five portions of fruit and vegetables every day. However recent studies reveal that this is far too little. Indeed, a large-scale scientific study has now concluded that if you eat at least 5 portions of vegetables and three hundred grams of fruit each day, then you’ll have a 42 percent reduced risk of premature death in comparison to those who eat less healthily (Davies, 2015).
2. You get to benefit from an extremely broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals that contribute to a strong immune system and healthy body, each and every day. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are typically caused by an unhealthy and unvaried diet. Providing you adequately vary the ingredients, a daily green smoothie will effectively eliminate your risk of nutrient deficiencies.
3. You can endlessly vary the ingredients – in the previous section you read about the almost inexhaustible variety of fruit, vegetables and superfoods that can be incorporated into green smoothies. And, whilst there are countless inspiring green smoothie recipes to explore, you can also have fun rustling up your very own, unique creations!
4. Green smoothies can help you to maintain a healthy weight. Consuming green smoothies regulates blood sugar levels, which means that you are less likely to snack on sweets or junk foods high in fat and salt. Green smoothies are thus an entirely natural way of managing your weight or encouraging natural weight loss.
5. Green smoothies are easy to digest. Processing fruit and vegetables in a blender releases all sorts of nutrients that promote the optimal digestion and absorption of their ingredients.
6. Green smoothies help you to feel fuller for longer. Drink a green smoothie immediately prior to or during a meal, and you’ll notice that you feel full more quickly and require less on your plate as a result. And, because green smoothies are so filling, you’ll feel far less tempted to snack between meals too.
7. You have more energy. The beneficial nutrients in green smoothies promote rather than hinder a healthy digestion, meaning that you’ll benefit from an abundance of energy throughout your day.
8. Green smoothies encourage a healthy bowel movement. Blending (rather than pressing) fruit and vegetables retains their natural fibre content. Fibre promotes a regular bowel movement and helps to maintain a healthy gut.
9. You’ll benefit from beautiful, radiant skin. One of the first things that you'll notice when drinking green smoothies on a regular basis, is that your skin takes on a healthy glow. Indeed, your skin will suffer fewer imperfections and become far softer, smoother and more radiant as a result.
10. Green smoothies keep your body alkaline. Many naturopaths believe that correct acidity levels are important for good health. Our Western diet contains many foods that acidify the body, so it’s important you consume plenty of alkalising fruits and vegetables to counter this. Whilst the majority of mainstream physicians remain unconvinced that acidity levels play a role in our health, they do agree we should consume more fruit and vegetables.
11. Green smoothies are quick and easy to prepare. Simply wash or peel your chosen fruit and vegetables, cut into large chunks, pop into the blender, briefly blitz and your green smoothie is good to go! To speed up preparation even more, purchase pre-washed and cut vegetables, and frozen fruit.
12. Green smoothies keep washing up to a minimum. Don’t fancy spending hours in the kitchen? Then green smoothies are simply ideal! Indeed, you need only clean your blender, glass and knife (if you cut the vegetables yourself).
13. They’re insanely delicious. Arguably the most important benefit associated with green smoothies is their irresistible flavour. Let’s face it, when something tastes this good, you’ll want to enjoy lots of it! Which means they’re a great way of getting children to eat their greens too.
14. Green smoothies may be stored in your refrigerator for a couple of days. You can therefore save additional time by blending large quantities of fruit and vegetables, and chilling the leftovers for consumption the following day. As the delicious high-fibre chunks tend to settle at the bottom, stir your chilled green smoothie thoroughly before pouring into a glass.
15. You can experiment until your heart’s content. Vary the ingredients in your green smoothie and you’ll enjoy a fresh discovery and tasty surprise each and every day!
16. They can be used to supplement specific nutrient deficiencies in an entirely natural way. You can use green smoothies to tackle nutrient deficiencies without resorting to synthetic supplements. Superfoodies kelp powder can be used to help treat thyroid disorders caused by an iodine deficiency for example, whilst a lack of vitamin C can be addressed by stirring in Superfoodies organic camu camu berry powder.
17. Green smoothies make a suitable meal replacement. Those who are extremely busy or trying to lose weight may occasionally swap their usual breakfast or lunch for a green smoothie. In order to optimally nourish your body, make sure that your green smoothie also contains plenty of protein and good fats with the inclusion of superfoods, such as Superfoodies organic hemp protein powder, avocado or coconut oil.
18. You simply won’t be able to get enough of them. Green smoothies are exceptionally delicious and a genuine treat for your body. Miss a green smoothie once you start drinking them regularly, and you’ll feel it immediately. And your body will positively demand it!
 "Fruit and vegetable consumption and all-cause, cancer and CVD mortality: analysis of Health Survey for England data." Primary Health Care 25, no. 1 (2015): 16-16.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: green smoothie benefits, green smoothie health benefits, green superfoods, health benefits of green smoothies, how do you make a green smoothie, supergreens, The benefits of green smoothies, what are green smoothies?, what to put in a green smoothie, why drink green smoothies?