Searching for the healthiest thirst quencher in the world? Then you’re in for a pleasant surprise, because pure coconut water is now available for purchase in the UK. In this blog you’ll discover why pure coconut water is so good for you, how to drink coconut water for optimal enjoyment and what to look out for when buying coconut water for the very first time.
What is coconut water?
Coconut water is the pure juice of young, green coconuts. It’s completely unprocessed, entirely free from unhealthy additives (such as refined sugars, colourings and preservatives etc.) and, unlike many other so-called ‘healthy’ drinks, not made from concentrate. Indeed, the only way in which quality, organic coconut water brands tamper with Mother Nature, is by using a special filtering process that prevents the juice from coming into contact with light and air, removes unwanted pieces of coconut flesh and guarantees an optimum nutrient retention. Pure organic coconut water from a reputable brand is thus totally fresh, unpasteurised and never heated. In fact, it's just like drinking coconut water from a fresh young coconut!
5 reasons coconut water is so healthy
Pure organic coconut water is literally bursting with wholesome nutrients, making it the healthiest water there is.
5 key reasons that coconut water is so healthy:
1. Coconut water is rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, which supports a strong immune system, and calcium for healthy teeth and bones.
2. Coconut water is exceptionally pure and thus hypoallergenic. It’s also pleasingly free from lactose and milk protein, making it an ideal alternative for those who are allergic or intolerant to dairy products.
3. Coconut water is isotonic. Thanks to its optimally balanced potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium ratios, it rapidly helps to restore fluid balance after intensive exercise or sporting activities.
4. Coconut water is rich in electrolytes that help to prevent headaches and migraines and additionally enhance concentration.
5. Coconut water contains exclusively natural fruit sugars (approx. 2.6 grams of natural sugar per 100 ml) meaning that it’s extremely low in calories (pure, organic coconut water contains only 19 Kcal per 100 ml).
How to drink coconut water for optimal enjoyment
Whilst coconut water can be enjoyed just as it comes, it also makes an equally irresistible base for green smoothies, juices and shakes. Coconut water is best served chilled and suitable for both adults and children (from 3 years upwards). Once open, store in your fridge and drink within 2 days.
What to look out for when buying coconut water
Coconut water can only truly be considered pure when not derived from concentrates and if totally free from unhealthy additives, such as sugar, preservatives and colourants (natural additives, such as ascorbic acid and natural flavourings, are fine). Always check the product information on the packaging carefully before purchasing coconut water and choose for a product derived from exclusively organic coconuts in order to ensure that it hasn't been contaminated with pesticides. Quality organic coconut water brands include Dr. Martin's Pure Organic Coco Juice (available in a variety of tempting flavours) and Fountain of Youth Coconut Water.